Sunday, May 15, 2011

Fear Itself: Youth in Revolt #1

W - Sean McKeever
A - Mike Norton






















I'm familiar with 'The Crossover' and do what I can to avoid it when it's around.  However, having read none of the Fear Itself comics, so far, I was goaded into reading this one.

It has all of the qualities I'm looking for in a comic to randomly review:
  • It's a #1
  • It's a mini-series
  • It's a Marvel comic
I find that I can pick up most Marvel #1's or one-shots and read/review them without needing to go  back.  I don't care about the characters or have a pressing need to follow up on the story, which gives these books a certain disposability.

I guess you can probably tell from my tone that I didn't really dig it.  I enjoyed the little intro blurb on the first page.  The art has just a smack of 90's Image and, maybe it's just me, but I don't think anyone wants to revisit that.  I couldn't really feel the 'flow' of the story.  I understood what was happening, but the pacing was weird and the events seemed a little disjointed.  Don't misunderstand me, there wasn't anything glaringly bad about this comic book, but it was definitely not my cup of tea, or even on the same street as my alley.

As a (mostly) non-superhero comic reader I am always on the lookout for a book that will pique my interest in the genre - a book that will CHANGE EVERYTHING!  This comic book was not the one.

p.s.  Thor Girl?

No comments: